Play Where the Pros Play!!

Friday, January 3, 2014

Poker League Season 10, Game #2 Results

Edit: This post is late due to me thinking I would get the log for the game and then not getting it...waiting...then finally not getting it and deciding to try to remember everything with no fact-checking available...

Game #2 is in the books and Craig has yet to be seen...  Poker League players were in short supply Saturday night due to a large amount(in the North) of snow.  We had 8 players, missing Jon and Shae along with Craig's 2nd miss of the season.  I really hope Season #8's MVP plays this season, however bleak it might seem...I also have a present for his new son that if Craig's not in the next one his son will probably outgrow...  One of the "cool" things about having 3 missed players is that 1st one out still gets like 4 points or something!  That's at least what I was telling myself early on when I literally didn't win one hand until right before break.  I had gotten a few pocket pairs and I think I played them ok but possibly a little too aggressive early on.  I didn't hit a set and it seemed that someone always hit the overcard.  Finally, I looked down at KQ and opened it up on the button, got 2 callers, Heck and Jaime in the blinds. (8 handed table) I flopped top pair, something like Kc-8s-4c.  Jaime bet out and Heck folded, I thought about raising but I thought the hands she donks with I'm either way ahead or way behind.  So instead of taking it down right here most of the time with a raise or losing it right here if she's ahead I thought I could get her to put more chips in on the most times I'm ahead.  Turn was an As.  Jaime bet again and while I didn't like the A all that much I felt like based on her flop bet and turn bet I didn't feel that she just hit 2 pair, I think she might have taken more time to consider slow-playing it.  So she either just hit a naked Ace that she donked with or I was still way ahead.  The river was really nice, though, Qd hits and Jaime checks so I bet out about 3/4 pot hoping to look a little bit like that was the only way for me to win the hand, unfortunately she folded and I suppose she was chasing a crappy flush and just whiffed.  I won another slightly mid-sized pot against Jaime with KQ later on, flopping a Q.  Other than those 2 pots, I believe I lost every other single hand I played.  I was even down to 3900 at one point(near the end of 100-200 with 150-300 looming), I shoved uncalled a few times and got myself up to 5K-ish when I beleive that's near when we lost Chivers and then 2 really sweet hands happened in succession. 

I can't remember exactly the specifics of the first hand, but Jaime and Chris went at it for stacks.  Jaime bet something like 3K on the flop or turn leaving herself like a little over 4K more.  I remember checking her stack at this point because of the 3K bet.  Chris called the 3K and upon looking at his stack I realized he had pretty close to the same amount left over, but based on him only calling I wasn't sure he exactly realized that they were very close...  The river Jaime goes all-in and Chris quickly calls, again, I don't think he knew how close the stacks were...  I don't even remember what the hands were, but Jaime lost and was about to seceed her chips to Chris when I said that we should get a count because it's closer than everyone thinks based on looks.  I also have a vested interest in the KOs Chris gets based on our seasonal prop bet(this year we're not betting on most wins, but most KOs, Currently Chris:1, Fred:4)  Sure enough, Jaime ended up having 150 more than Chris and therefore he didn't get her KO chip just yet, sweet!

Very next hand I looked down at pocket 5s, I believe there were 2 limpers and an open from Jake, this was enough in the pot and I believe I had a small amount of fold equity so I raised all-in, Jaime hated her cards and while I told her it was probably in her best interest to try to win this pot, where she can get a much larger amount of blinds and antes compared to if she folds and would have to win 3 all-in hands to get the equivalent, I think my advice fell on deaf ears.  It's also in my best interest to get a KO, too!  She folded to try to win the next hand...  Heck called really quickly(I think mostly just to KO me), Jake folded.  Chris was loving the fact that I might be KOd so early and also get no KOs for this game, or at least not getting Jaime's KO chip.  Heck had QJ vs my 5s and I smacked a 5 on the flop and never looked back.  I'm now sitting on 10K+ and feeling pretty good, though it would've been nice to get Jaime's KO chip after sort of keeping Chris from getting it.  I think Jake ended up KO-ing Jaime next hand, she had a better hand this time than her previous 9-3 when I had 5s, and shoving all-in no matter how much you have left is no fun if you've got 9-3 so I understand... You'd just feel better about yourself after shoving almost any other hand than 9-3.  So we've lost Chivers and Jaime, 8 total, 6 left.  I believe Sean was next to go, though this is where I usually check out the log file of the game to see who went out when and I can then jog my memory as to the events that transpired to cause said KOs...Sean and Terri both had small stacks and possibly played 5 hands total all night, at this point it looked pretty much like me/Heck/Jake/Dejo would be winning this week.  Sean and Terri both were KOd I believe in that order(Terri may have KOd Sean, and then still had a short stack, that's how little I'm talking about...and I think Dejo KO'd Terri...doh!)

Fred: 4
Dejo: 2

and then Chris lost a ton of chips in a hand with Jake that he described as follows:

".  I was really bummed about how I played a hand against Jake.  It was so stupid… I think blinds were 7/14, I’m the in the BB and it folds around to him in SB.  He doubles the blind, and I call with 9-2o.  Mostly just to defend since he was raising a lot, but whatever.  It was probably stupid right there.  So the flop comes 7s-6s-7c and we both check.  Turn is a 2h, and he leads out for the minimum.  I’m thinking to myself, OK, so there’s a chance he has a 7, but he did raise preflop, so maybe not.  Maybe he has 2 overs to the board and wants me out.  He can’t put me on a 2 here can he?  So what the hell I’ll call.  This was stupid mistake #2.  Then the worst thing in the world happens, a 9d on the river.  He waits a minute and bets 3k.  So this bet to me seems like an odd bet considering how he’s played it so far.  And in my head, I’m yelling at myself HE HAS 3 SEVENS YOU ASS!! JUST FOLD!  But then there’s that little devil on my shoulder saying he can’t put you on a 9 here… you should call!  So after a while, I did and of course he has 3 sevens."

I think I told him that playing 9-2 isn't in itself a complete mistake, but I think as tough as it might be at 7/14, raising might be better here than calling, since I don't think 9-2 is ever a hand you'll like hitting a card with, as Chris didn't like his 2 and even at the end, didn't like the 9 either...just tough to play 9-2...probably should either be a fold or raise.

Chris had a cooler of a hand versus Heck AJ vs AQ and wasn't the same after that.  He didn't have much when I KO'd him, but it always feels good to knock him out so I'll take the KO+1

KOs:
Fred: 5
Dejo: 2

3 of us played for a decent amount of time(again, I need the log for specifics...doh!)  Probably from top 4 or 5, we had "SLAPSHOT" the movie on in the background.  Unfortunately or possibly fortunately the TV was to my back so I missed it, however, I did notice that Heck was enjoying it and would very often check his cards early and had a few movements signifying playable or folding hands.  This was nice since he was directly to my left.  I noticed he looked down at his hand while I was SB, Jake was making his decision but Heck was already looking up at the poker timer, this signified that he either wanted to raise or see how much longer before the blinds changed.  I thought this meant either way he wanted to play the hand.  I looked down at AKoff and it might be the first and only time I got AK all night come to think of it...I decided to complete the blind hoping Heck to raise.  He was also making a slightly larger raise than Jake or I were making, I believe we were making 3800-4000 raises while he'd made a few 5K raises.  Sure enough he raises to 5K, I shove all-in and he calls, flipping over QJ.  I think I hit trip Ks on the turn and I'm pretty sure that was Heck's last hand, it sent Jake and I to heads up.

KOs
Fred: 6
Dejo: 2

Jake and I went to heads up with 4 to 1 stacks with me being favored.  I think it lasted 1 or 2 hands.
I raised to 5K with KJsuited, he shoved, I got a count and called 6 or 7K more
K on the flop and it was pretty unsatisfactory for Jake.  Me on the other hand, I went from being possibly the 1st or 2nd one out to top 4, taking out 4th,3rd and 2nd place players to win.  It felt pretty nice. 

Next game is at my place this weekend, wish me luck!!

Oh yeah, almost forgot:
KOs
Fred: 7
Dejo: 2

FYI: We've decided that your own KO chip doesn't count, so we're strictly counting actual KOs.  That's why I don't have 8 :-)  I'm hoping to really put some distance this weekend on the bet so I can focus on the decision of Chris' costume :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment