Play Where the Pros Play!!

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Rivers Tournament early thoughts...

I was having an issue with my last post at the end having some kind of strange code replacing my text so I'll just put up some thoughts of the last 2 tournaments here:

Now I know I'm playing the cheap tournaments; $50 Sunday, $125 Poker Opens, etc... The one $550 deepstack I played in I don't remember having a beef at all with the way it was run...so maybe it's just the fact that I'm playing in the cheaper tournaments....
However, the more tournaments I'm playing at the Rivers, the more I'm worried I'll be frustrated at the way they are being run. In my last $50 tournament, I don't think we played hand 4 hand at the money/final table bubble(it worked in my favor I guess...I made it?)

My biggest beef would be the blind structure as the blind levels jump at the strangest times, 5K-10K to 10K-20K to 20K-40K(we chopped prior to this level). To me, nothing says, "We don't really care about you and GET THE HELL OUT OF MY POKER ROOM!" like doubling blinds at the end of a tournament. I only hope the more expensive tournaments are be more leveled out.   I also remember there was 1 other level jump in the middle of the tournament that seemed unnecessary.  At the time I thought maybe they skipped a blind to help move things along, having 50% more entries this last game.

Another issue is that it seems silly to only pay out 8% of the field,10 of 122 entrants got paid in my last tournament.  They have the payouts stacked so much toward the 1st 3 spots, and they have the blinds doubling at the end to the point everyone has less than 10 blinds that it would be foolish to not chop...  Again, I hope this is just because I'm playing in the cheaper tournaments and I don't remember thinking this when I played the 550 deepstack so I'll just have to decide after playing a few of those...if I still have an issue...

No comments:

Post a Comment